It’s 7 days until the end of the first quarter and many business owners have already strayed from the path of their 2016 growth plan.
So, if you’ve strayed, you’re not alone.
In fact, I have strayed. Overall detours are a good thing. But, they can also present us with fear when we really need to be courageous. You see, whenever you step away from the path, uncertainty is likely to rise up. But I encourage you to follow the signs of your detour, and I promise you, it will likely take you on a much better path to your intended destination.
This isn’t the first time I’ve been on a detour. And, if you’re an entrepreneur, you’ll likely experience several detours along your journey as well.
If you’re finding yourself, feeling vulnerable, stir crazy and little frustrated that your intended route isn’t getting you to your business growth destination, check out this video I recorded in 2012 (yup, it’s still relevant).
As I share in the video, you’ll likely need to do an evaluation. I recommend that you assess your situation by asking yourself:
- Where am I trying to go?
- Is there only one way to get there?
- What might be waiting for me if I try a different route?
- Am I open and courageous enough to surrender to the process?
- What is this detour sparing me from?
- What would have happened if I stayed on the original course?
- What can I learn to grow my business during this detour?
As you prepare to maximize your detour, here are five strategies to aid your journey:
1. Believe that the detour is for your good. In faith, believe that the detour has arisen because you need to avoid some congestion, or better still, some confusion that would prevent you from unleashing your Incredible Factor in the best way for your message.
2. Reflect on what aspects of your journey need modification. Take the time to steal away from the day to day and focus on what you must modify so that you arrive on time to your business growth.
3. Revisit the map (your business plan) while you are driving along the new route. Is your initial vision still the same? Have you shifted your ideal client? Are you offering the same or different products and services? What in your business plan needs to be updated to reflect your current operations?
4. Do you have an operations manual? If so, this is a great time to update it to reflect new processes and procedures followed by your company to offer amazing customer service to your clients. Don’t have one? Now is the time to start one. Once you get back on the main road, traffic will be moving fast and you will need to bring on assistants to help you finish the journey. Having an operations manual will make it easy for them to get up to speed.
5. Need a pit stop? Perhaps this is a good time to stop for a few minutes and reenergize your business’s most precious resource…you. When was the last time you took a vacation? Even when your business is not yielding the finances to allow you to go away, you can get away from your business for a few days and tend to your needs so that you will be fit to continue the rest of the drive.
6. Should there be a GPS in play on this journey? Even the most seasoned business owner can benefit from guidance. Your GPS is likely a coach, consultant or business advisor who can help you recalculate as needed to ensure that your detour isn’t too long and that it serves its purpose.
7. Are your passengers on board or are they adding fuel to the fire of the detour? This is a good time to evaluate your team and support system. Are they along for the ride? Or, are they constantly asking “are we there yet?” If they are the latter, you may want to clarify their purpose and make necessary adjustments so that you can enjoy the journey.
Now I want to hear from you: What’s your two cents? What do you think is necessary to do when you’re on a business detour? Share your thoughts here.
Happy traveling! The best part of your journey is yet to come. 🙂
©2016 by Darnyelle A. Jervey. All Rights Reserved. Darnyelle A. Jervey, MBA, The Incredible Factor Business Optimization Coach and Mentor, is the founder of Incredible One Enterprises®, Incredible Factor University® and the Leverage Your Incredible Factor System®, a proven step-by-step program so you experience financial and spiritual abundance in your life because of your business. For more information and a FREE audio CD “7 Critical Mistakes Even Smart Entrepreneurs Must Avoid for Clients, Connection and Cash Flow!” just fill out the form below.