Are you a speaker, author, coach OR coach, author, speaker OR author, speaker, coach who feels like you are struggling to find your Incredible Factor or unique voice in the marketplace?
These days, being any combination of the titles above is so non-descriptive and truly makes you a dime a dozen. If you’re paying attention, it probably feels like EVERYONE who decides to start their own business becomes some variation of the titles above. So, when I got Dominique’s question, I could totally feel her pain:
Hi Darnyelle. I was looking at a few of your videos on YouTube and I am really having a hard time trying to discover my Incredible Factor. I am a coach, speaker, author, etc but I want to be authentic and not try to glean from what others are doing. I know I have a message to share but I am having a really hard time packaging all of that together. Any suggestions?
Do I have suggestions?! Of course I do. Check out my response to Dominique’s question in this week’s episode of Incredible Factor TV:
Like I shared in the video, there are five questions that you need to answer if you’re experiencing the same feelings as Dominique.
1. WHO is your audience of one (demographics and psychographics)? In other words, who do you have a heart to serve? Serving people based on what is on your heart will cause the impact you make when you work much more rewarding and joyful for you.
2. WHAT is the top of mind problem that you solve for them? And, what is the solution you provide? Remember, my favorite business law – the universal law of business – find a group of people who have the exact problem that you solve who are ready to pay for a solution to that problem now. People in pain seek pain killers and you need to look like the right pain killer for them by speaking to the problem that they can’t stop thinking about.
3. WHY is your message going to appeal to them? Why should they care what you have to say? In other words, what is it about your story, your journey and your results that will cause the change they are seeking? And why should they be listening to you now? This question will help you think about another universal business truth – WIIFM (What’s in it for me) – this is the frequency that everyone is tuned in to. If you want to get anyone’s attention, you have to speak on their frequency.
4. WHERE can you find them so that you make marketing to them easy for you? Knowing enough about your ideal clients to identify where they are currently gathering together (in numbers large enough for you to create a pipeline full of prospects) is extremely important. Think in terms of events, groups, associations and those types of places.
5. HOW will your voice be seen, heard and experienced by your Audience of One™? In other words, do you need to look a certain way? Do you need to sound a certain way or prepare a specific speech? And do you need to act or create a specific type of interactive experience for them?
And, you’ve got to find a way to stand out. The best way to ensure that your voice will be heard is to say something that isn’t already being said by every Tom, Dick or Harry speaker, coach, author. And finding your own way to say it will speak volumes because people are programmed to notice what is different. I’d also recommend that you be very clear and extremely specific about who you are serving and make your message more about them than it is about you.
Now, I want to hear from you: What’s your two cents? Do you have advice for Dominique? How have you dealt with the need to speak your own truth in the marketplace? What have you tried that worked or didn’t work?
©2013 by Darnyelle A. Jervey. All Rights Reserved. Darnyelle A. Jervey, MBA, The Incredible Factor Speaker, Business Coach and Marketing Mentor, is the founder of Incredible One Enterprises.com, Incredible Factor University® and the Leverage Your Incredible Factor System®, a proven step-by-step program for more clients, more income and more leverage in your business. For more information and a FREE audio CD “7 Critical Mistakes Entrepreneurs Must Avoid When Unleashing Your Incredible Factor So You Attract More Clients, Make More Money and Gain More Leverage” just fill out the form below.